Central Section Division I baseball rankings; Preview of the Central California Showcase
Two weeks of baseball are in the books and teams are starting to show their true colors of who they might be in 2020. Clovis North’s dominant pitching staff has allowed just two runs through six games while the offense has shown the ability to get after it on the base paths. The Broncos have speed to burn throughout the lineup and are this week’s #1 team after shutting out Memorial 5-0 on February 18th.
Clovis Sports Report Top 10
1. Clovis North (6-0) — 🔼
2. Memorial (5-1) — 🔻
3. Clovis West (5-1) — No movement
4. Buchanan (5-1) — No movement
5. Righetti (2-0) — 🔼
6. Liberty (4-1) — 🔻
7. Stockdale (3-0-1) — 🔻
8. Central (5-1) — No movement
9. Centennial (4-2) — Unranked last week
10. Frontier (4-1-1) — No movement
On the bubble: Bullard, Tulare Western, Clovis, Clovis East, Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Redwood
- Little movement in the top four with the only change coming with Clovis North and Memorial swapping spots.
- Liberty and Stockdale each fall one spot, behind Righetti who is outscoring opponents 20-0 to start the year. The Valley will get a glimpse and Righetti over the next couple of weeks as they play Stockdale, Centennial, Clovis West and Clovis. The Warriors will have a chance to prove their worth or take a tumble.
- Central loses the chance to make a leap after falling to Bullard.
- Bullard has a case for being in the top 10. They have played one of the tougher schedules thus far and have a quality win over Central. There are still question marks having losses to Buchanan (9-2), Clovis West (shutout), and Clovis East (5-1). Though they beat Clovis, they were no-hit–which is something that most people will never see. With that said, you could see their name surface in the rankings if the Knights can go 2-0 this weekend.
- Centennial enters the rankings, jumping Frontier, with a win over Liberty last week. Centennial has a loss to Stockdale already which keeps them in the nine spot until the sample size gets bigger.
Central California Showcase overview
The Central California Showcase is a two-day tournament which will see many D1 teams from this area competing. All games are played at one of the Clovis Unified stadiums on Feb. 28 and Feb. 29. There is no championship, just two scheduled games for each team.
(Make note of game times as they vary by location)
Friday, February 28
Rocklin at #1 Clovis North, 6:30pm
Bear Creek at #3 Clovis West, 6:30pm
Turlock (#14 in PBR State Rankings) at #4 Buchanan, 6:30pm
#6 Liberty at Clovis, 3:30pm
#10 Frontier vs #8 Central, 3:30pm AT Clovis West High School
St. Mary’s at Clovis East, 6pm
Elk Grove vs Bullard, 6pm AT Clovis High School
Saturday, February 29
Turlock (#14 in PBR State Rankings) at #1 Clovis North, 1pm
#10 Frontier at #3 Clovis West, 10am
Bear Creek at #4 Buchanan, 1pm
#6 Liberty vs Franklin, 10am AT Buchanan High School
St. Mary’s vs #8 Central, 1pm AT Clovis West High School
Elk Grove at Clovis, 10am
Rocklin at Clovis East, 11am
Bullard vs Washington Union, 10am AT Clovis North High School