Central Section Division I baseball rankings; key games to watch this week
The Central California Showcase was the headline event over the weekend as a couple of Bakersfield schools, along with some NorCal powers, made the trip to compete against various TRAC opponents. Some teams made a leap up, while others fell in this week’s rankings.
Clovis Sports Report Top 10
1. Clovis North (7-1) – No movement
2. Memorial (6-1) – No movement
3. Buchanan (7-1) – 🔼
4. Frontier (7-1-1) – 🔼
5. Clovis West (6-2) – 🔻
6. Stockdale (5-1-1) – 🔼
7. Clovis (5-3) – 🔼
8. Liberty (5-2) – 🔻
9. Righetti (3-2) – 🔻
10. Centennial (4-3) – 🔻
On the bubble: Bullard, Central, San Luis Obispo, Tulare Western, Clovis East, Paso Robles, Redwood
- Buchanan certainly made a case for the top spot with their win over state-ranked #13 Turlock while Clovis North lost to the same team the next day. One could not justify the Bears jumping Memorial when both teams have the same record, along with the Panthers owning the head-to-head win. Clovis North also holds a win over that same Memorial team. In-section results hold more value than non-section wins and losses. That’s not to say what the Bears did over the weekend wasn’t impressive or noted, because it certainly was. However, a leap over Memorial and CN cannot happen at this time. A bigger sample size is needed among these three teams.
- Even though Frontier’s one loss this season came to Stockdale, the Titans make a huge leap after defeating Clovis West and Central this weekend. Last Tuesday, they also defeated Tulare Western. Frontier has two true ace pitchers in CSU Bakersfield signee Kris Anglin and Fresno State signee Tommy Hopfe. Both dominated in their starts. In their loss to Stockdale a couple of weeks ago, neither pitcher toed the rubber. Can the Titans score enough runs to win the SWYL? The remains to be seen, though it won’t take many with those arms. They’ve shown enough top climb into the top five this week.
- Clovis has put together a few solid games in a row and their shutout win over Liberty guaranteed them back in the rankings. Liberty will be in contention for the SWYL all year and their matchup with Clovis wasn’t all that competitive. Yes, the score was ‘only’ 5-0, but Clovis left plenty on base and that number in the runs column could have easily been much higher. After a slow start, Clovis is starting to put things together and finally played like a top team over the weekend.
- Righetti takes a tumble after falling to Stockdale, but it was the loss to Division VI Lompoc, who is 1-4, that raises some questions. Still, their win over Centennial keeps them here for now. The Warriors travel to Clovis and Clovis West this weekend and must win one of those to earn any type of respect come playoff seeding time.
- Centennial stays in the top ten while Central falls out. Both Centennial and Central’s resumes are close to even. The Golden Hawks have a win versus Liberty, which tops any win that Central has at this point.
Key games to watch this week
Tuesday, March 3
#6 Stockdale at #2 Memorial, 3:30pm
#8 Liberty at #3 Buchanan, 6:30pm
Friday, March 6
#4 Frontier at #1 Clovis North, 6:30pm
Turlock at #2 Memorial, 3:30pm
#9 Righetti at #7 Clovis, 6:00pm
Saturday, March 7
#9 Righetti at #5 Clovis West, Noon